Law No. 62-FZ "On Russian Citizenship" establishes the grounds for the acquisition of Russian citizenship by children. A child can obtain Russian citizenship both by birth and at the request of his parents (guardians, trustees). A child's acquisition of citizenship by birth depends on the citizenship of his parents and place of birth.
A child is accepted into Russian citizenship regardless of whether he was born in Russia or abroad:
1.when the mother and father of the child are Russians, 2.when the child has a single parent - a citizen of the Russian Federation, 3.when one of the parents is a citizen of the Russian Federation, and the other parent has the status of a stateless person or is recognized as missing, or his whereabouts are unknown, 4. when one parent is a citizen of the Russian Federation, the other parent is a foreign citizen, and threatens to obtain the status of a stateless person.
A child born on the territory of the Russian Federation also becomes a citizen of the Russian Federation:
1.when one of the child's parents is a Russian and the other parent is a foreign citizen, 2. when both parents of the child (or his only parent) are foreign citizens living in Russia, and the state of which they are citizens does not grant the child its citizenship.
3. when both parents of the child (or his only parent) are stateless persons living in the Russian Federation.
In addition, a child who is not a citizen of the Russian Federation can be admitted to Russian citizenship in the manner and on the grounds provided for in Articles 14, 25, 26 of the Citizenship Law: for children, there is a simplified procedure for admission to citizenship. The simplified procedure implies an appeal to the competent authorities with an application for the admission of a child to citizenship. Both parents and guardians (trustees) of the child, who are entitled to this under the Citizenship Law, can act as applicants.
An applicant living in Russia should send an application for admission to the child's citizenship to the internal affairs bodies at the place of residence. An applicant residing outside the Russian Federation can submit an application to a Russian diplomatic mission or consular office.
The application is made in two copies on a special form. Together with the application, an identity document of the applicant is provided, as well as the following documents:
- the child's birth certificate or his passport, if any;
- if the child lives on the territory of the Russian Federation, a residence permit or other document confirming the child's residence in Russia;
- a document proving the identity and citizenship of the other parent (when the child acquires citizenship on the basis of clause "a" part 2 of article 14 and part 2 and 4 of article 25 of the Law on Citizenship);
- a document certifying the status of a stateless person of the other parent (when the child acquires citizenship on the basis of clause "a" part 2 of article 14 and part 3 of article 25 of the Law on Citizenship);
- certificate of establishment of guardianship or trusteeship, as appropriate;
- for the acquisition of Russian citizenship by a child between the ages of 14 and 18, his consent, drawn up in writing, is required. Such consent is drawn up in any form and certified by a notary;
- 3 photographs of the child (3x4 cm);
- a receipt for payment of the state duty or consular fee.
Consideration of an application according to a simplified procedure and a decision on it is carried out within six months from the date of submission of the application. The applicant is notified of the decision made on such an application within one month from the date of the decision. If the decision on granting Russian citizenship to a child who has reached the age of 14 is approved, a Russian passport is issued, and a special insert is issued to a child under this age living in Russia in the birth certificate, which confirms that the child has Russian citizenship.If a child under 14 years old does not live in Russia, information about him is entered in the passport of the parent (s) of the child - citizens of the Russian Federation. Also, at the request of the child's parents, he can be issued a Russian passport.